Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Gonzo Fried Rice

What a mess. These pictures show off how bad our kitchen looked a few days prior to a nice deep clean.

It makes me cringe.

In any case, it's hard to see. And on this day I was making fried rice.

Fried rice is easy and something that can absorb lots of different leftovers, especially rice. This is one of the extender-of-meager-provisions dishes.

Rice for the fried rice is usually left over, and a little dried out, even in restaurants. We eat plenty of rice, so the occasional fried rice can be done with just a few extra vegetables.

I started with an onion, sauteing it in oil, then added garlic and red chilis, and in a second pan fried up two eggs. By the time I got the eggs started, I'd added carrots and broccoli.


Here's the stuff that goes in later. Once the broccoli and carrots are soft, but not fully cooked, put the rice in. Toss the rice until it's evenly mixed. Once it gets hot and popping, start the flavoring. Notice I hadn't added any soy sauce or anything such liquid. That goes in after the rice.

Soy sauce, nam plaa (Thai fish sauce), and sesame oil are the usual suspects. This is done to taste. While the rice is still hot and flavored well, turn off the heat and add sliced scallions and finely chopped Napa cabbage, but here all I had was Savoy cabbage.


If you need to make rice for the dish (as I did since I didn't have quite enough rice), cool it on a sheet tray in the fridge once it's done. It may not be as dry as you may like, but it'll still work.



The idea is to wilt the scallions and cabbage in the still hot rice. Fold in the eggs here as well. Sprouts are also traditionally used at this moment.

Here's the final mass:


It's tasty and plentiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment