Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cooking on Crutches

I couldn't stay away from the kitchen. Missus Chef Gonzo has been doing an awesome job with the cooking since I've been jacked up, but lately I've been wanting, nay, needing, to get back in there and do something. I've been cooking little things, here and there, but the other night I made something a little bit more involved, and even had the camera with me.

I'd have to say that dishes are probably my least favorite thing to do while on one leg. Prep work keeps me focused, as does the actual cooking part, but dishes are just a sweaty, purple-footed shenanigan.

So...I used our spiffy La Creuset pot and made some of the dish I called Bronx Sofrito. The first time I made it I used our oval La Creuset baking dish, but that dish, as nice as it is, can't be put on the heat. The new round one we have can, as it's one of the cast-iron covered in porcelain editions.

I also had very limited supplies, and had to forego the olives and tomatoes that give it the Spanish-feeling.

This first picture is the first half of my work station. The bowl in the back has the diced onions and carrots (my mirepoix), the cutting board has finely diced garlic and some butter (the butter will be tossed in to add flavor to the rice when it's browning), and the plate where I seasoned the chicken thighs. Also, the ever present salt and pepper.


Here's the rice, a mixture of wild long grain and regular white, the oil and behind the towel, the hard to see chicken stock. I eventually filled that stock container up with water just to have enough liquid for the rice.


Here are the thighs working. You have to brown them so when they cook for the time in the oven they'll retain the flavor. Also, as they brown they shrink, and here you can see that in action. I started with two thighs, t5hen they shrank enough for me to add the third, and eventually I added that fourth. Always start skin-side down.


After you remove the chicken, you add the mirepoix and let it go for a minute or two. Then add the garlic and red chili flakes, and let it get aromatic. Then add the rice. As this toasts, add the butter, and smell the goodness. Here's the rice toasting with the butter, oil, and rendered chicken fat 9it may sound like a lot of grease, but surprisingly is not):


After about thirty to forty minutes in your oven, this is what it will look like:


The chicken falls off the bone, and the rice is rich and delicious. Even without the tomatoes and olives, this meal turned out great, and it was truly Gonzo.

It felt good to be doing something productive again.

No comments:

Post a Comment